Saturday, November 5, 2011

I Could Die Happy #31

I could die happy after...



A really good piece of theatre.

I've never been a big musical theatre fan.  Sure, there are some shows I like, but they're usually the "darker" musicals.  Sweeney Todd, Jekyll and Hyde, Les Miserables.  When it comes to acting in shows, I lean towards comedies, but when it comes to sitting down in a dark theatre to watch, I love a good drama.  I'm talking about the kind of show that leaves you with a lump in your throat well after you've left the theatre.  Last night I saw one such production.  Master Harold and the Boys, at the Dayton Playhouse left me with that lump in my throat.  I was blown away by this production.  Franklin Johnson, Robert Waldron and Ray Zupp, each with his own nuances, made these characters their own.   All three men, with direction from Matthew Smith, brought this powerful script to life.  At times I laughed and other times I was on the edge of tears.  

This is a limited engagement show. Only this weekend, so go!  There's a show tonight at 8pm and tomorrow at 2pm.

1 comment:

  1. Strangers passing in the night! Hubby and I were there, too. Thoroughly enjoyed the performance, and look forward to spending more time at Dayton Playhouse. What an undiscovered gem -

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete