Friday, January 28, 2011

Opportunity Knocks But You Don't Have to Answer

I have never been one to sit still when it comes to working.  I have been promoted from an entry level position to management in every job I've had, except one- but I hated that job anyway.  This is because I've always tried to go above and beyond in any position. I've always looked for the next opportunity, and created many of those opportunities myself. Basically I just get bored doing the same thing over and over.

A few years ago I found that my work and opportunities had led to a position where I was making an amount of money high enough to make a difference on a budget spreadsheet so when cuts were considered in order to balance the budget, I became nothing more than a expense line on an overinflated budget. So I got cut.  That was my "welcome to reality in the workplace."  Its pretty humbling.

Now I can tell you that I was angry, bitter, felt sorry for myself and I was scared.  I was also relieved.  I was in a position that I didn't want to be in.  I had pursued opportunities that I didn't want only because I thought its what I was supposed to do. Its the American way! Move up! Get promoted!  Be a success!

Once I lost that job and learned the valuable lessons about being true to oneself, I decided to pursue my love of writing.  Finally!  I had been putting it off as I took all those "great" opportunities. I decided then and there that any job I took was only to get me from point A to point B while I pursued my passion on the side.

So fast forward to now.  I'm back at work at the same place in a lower level position I'm comfortable in and I just finished my first novel.  Everything is good..... except that old familiar ambition is coming back.  I find myself wanting more in the workplace, but feeling conflicted about it.

I need to make the choices that will take where I want to be, not where I think I should be.  Writing as a career is still the ultimate goal, but why do I find the distractions so appealing?

2 comments:

  1. I understand about distractions in balancing 40-hour workweek and writing a novel. At the moment, I have a potential opportunity to rewrite/edit a novel for hire, and as part of deciding whether or not to take it, I'm wondering if it's going a distraction to finishing my book. It is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, Wes. I do some freelance writing on the side occasionally and worried about the same thing.

    ReplyDelete